Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomasnet.com, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” will explore the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Join Tony and me as we discuss disruptive new trends in the digital-industrial world. Today, we talk office trends new and old, from open floor plans to remote work and more.
The Big Themes:
- It’s a great time to connect with your customers and employees. Try new ideas, try innovation, try creativity, and don’t waste these opportunities.
- Jamming 300 people into the same footprint is a myth. There’s not a shred of evidence that the open office makes people more productive.
- Bill McDermott, CEO of ServiceNow, said there will be times some people choose to work remotely – with childcare, parents, etc. – and sometimes you need to use the office as a “productivity tool.”
- Thomas.net is now in the fourth wave of a monthly survey, and a surprising number of manufacturers are reshoring back to North America.
- This is going to reshape global manufacturing for decades to come – and not just the areas we think about.
The Big Quote: “What we’re seeing is more robust hiring than we would have anticipated. Close to 40% of the companies are actually hiring right now.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Thanks for watching! For more like this, we recommend:
Stream more from Uphoff on Industry:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Tony Uphoff is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2020. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.