“Sadin on Digital” episodes explore the fast-changing and high-stakes world of digital business. Wayne Sadin and I focus in particular on what CEOs and boards must do to lead their companies successfully into the Digital Age. Today, we talk through what C-suites need to focus on when it comes to cybersecurity—and what they might be risking by failing to do so.
The Big Themes:
- Wake-up call for boards and C-Suites: What do we hear from victims? “We didn’t think we’d be a target.”
- In our emerging acceleration economy: Firms can’t afford the lost time, the lost revenue/added costs, the hit to reputation a successful attack causes.
- Firms must do six things well: Robust prevention, quick detection, defense in depth, keeping secrets secret, effective repair/restoration, and not keeping your eggs in one basket.
- Manage systemic risk, not just cybersecurity: If someone can waltz in and unplug the firewall, are you secure?
The Big Quote:
- “There’s a John Chambers quote that I’ve used before. There are two kinds of companies: those that have been hacked, and those they don’t know that they’ve been hacked.”
- “If you’re an executive and you had trouble understanding that, listen again, because nothing I said is very technical.”
- “If your systems are cruddy and 15 years old and not connected, you might be in a full-time hygiene mode.”
You can also stream this episode in audio-only format:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Wayne Sadin is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.