Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomasnet.com, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” will explore the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Join Tony and me as we discuss disruptive new trends in the digital-industrial world. Today, we talk “data culture” and how it’s transforming all aspects of business.
The Big Themes:
- The industrial sector realizes customer service is not enough—customer experience is the new priority.
- Everybody codes: some business executives are finding that a base level of coding expertise is helpful in steering digital strategy.
- Data literacy is rising across all job functions – being able to manipulate and analyze data is becoming a core competence.
- Where data makes a difference: today, only one in 10 molecules developed by the pharmaceutical industry ever make it out of clinical trials and into the marketplace.
- It’s a wasted opportunity for online learning to be nothing more than a video image of a professor lecturing away. (Tony was raised by academics so he is a huge fan of higher education.)
The Big Quote: “Apple is one of the most valuable manufacturers in the world, and so are Microsoft, Google, and Amazon.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Thanks for watching! For more like this, we recommend:
Stream more from Uphoff on Industry:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Tony Uphoff is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2020. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode was brought to you by BMC Software.