Each month, “Anschuetz on Leadership” episodes will look at unique ways that business can approach leadership. Christian Anschuetz is an adventurer, explorer, entrepreneur, United States Marine Corps Captain (not on active duty), and highly inspirational leader. He’s been the CIO of one of the world’s largest advertising firms, CDO of a global safety and supply-chain company, and founded a nonprofit to help connect military veterans with business leaders for mutually beneficial outcomes. He’s currently building his own house, teaching at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and starting a couple of new businesses.
The Big Themes:
- You must preserve the core of your business: Leadership is about to make the investments, provide the autonomy, create the innovation culture and align it to your overall strategy.
- The four freedoms: An organization that allows for innovation, capability to really thrive, grow and affect the future of your business.
- What I call the beacon model: You create a capability that is related – but separate from the core of your business.
- These are courageous innovators: They have to be able to frame and form their own culture. There is a certain amount of operational form of freedom.
The Big Quotes:
- “So the relationship between leadership and courage – and then the ability to be an innovator.”
- “Jeff Bezos he has a bunch of them, but one of my favorites is he says something to the extent of, ‘You cannot be afraid of being misunderstood.’”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Christian Anschuetz is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.