Each month, “Anschuetz on Leadership” episodes will look at unique ways that business can approach leadership. Christian Anschuetz is an adventurer, explorer, entrepreneur, United States Marine Corps Captain (not on active duty), and highly inspirational leader. He’s been the CIO of one of the world’s largest advertising firms, CDO of a global safety and supply-chain company, and founded a nonprofit to help connect military veterans with business leaders for mutually beneficial outcomes. He’s currently building his own house, teaching at the Yale School of Management, and starting a couple of new businesses.
The Big Themes:
- I’m in the midst of writing a book: Everybody does it, but what’s exciting are the insights I’ll get to share from some remarkable people I’ve talked to.
- Purpose and culture often go hand-in-hand: We have to be students. We have to constantly study. We have to constantly come up with those new thoughts.
- “Customer-obsessed”? Most of us are not. What percentage of your meetings are directly focused specifically on a customer’s need, versus meandering discussions about internal issues?
- Pet peeve for the week: Are you marking time? And candidly, most meetings are marking time.
The Big Quotes:
- “The role of the leader is to force-multiply the organization that they lead. That is our job.”
- “That’s my opportunity. That’s my opportunity to learn.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Christian Anschuetz is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.