Each month, “Anschuetz on Leadership” episodes will look at unique ways that business can approach leadership. Christian Anschuetz is an adventurer, explorer, entrepreneur, United States Marine Corps Captain (not on active duty), and highly inspirational leader. He’s been the CIO of one of the world’s largest advertising firms, CDO of a global safety and supply-chain company, and founded a nonprofit to help connect military veterans with business leaders for mutually beneficial outcomes. He’s currently building his own house, teaching at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and starting a couple of new businesses.
The Big Themes:
- This thing called fog of war: And the fog of war is you don’t know everything. And then as soon as the bullets start flying, you actually know less because it’s like this aperture shrinks.
- Half the Fortune 500 will be replaced by other companies: We have the highest churn rate in the history of the list.
- Most of our corporations are run by terrible leaders: They have the technical background, but just look at our firms, look at how tone deaf they are.
- It’s a fantastic world: It’s the standards that you have to live up to. And in the exploration of this conversation, we can get to the heart of why leadership is so difficult.
The Big Quotes:
- “I think we’ve lost the societal grit to do good leadership to the extent that we need to, because it’s so freaking hard.”
- “When you learn leadership, there’s fundamental principles that are at play here, and sometimes they’re in conflict.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Christian Anschuetz is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.