Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomasnet.com, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” will explore the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Join Tony and me as we discuss disruptive new trends in the digital-industrial world. Today, we explore why, though we’ve seen extraordinary advances in big data, data analytics and data science, it’s harder to find examples of extraordinary insights of the use of big data.
The Big Themes:
- Will business travel come back? There is a lot of conjecture about business travel being forever changed by the forced online interaction of the pandemic. Our sense is it already has been but not in the way many people think.
- Thomas Q2 Sourcing Report is out: And reflects strong demand across a wide range of categories, with significant implications for technology markets. We nailed a few of our Q2 predictions and have several for Q3.
- Higher Ed and Healthcare: Two massive markets that many people feel have been ripe for technology disruption for years but they remain unchanged. Will this time be different?
- The increase in demand for PCB boards: It’s not solely coming from the traditional consumer electronics. It’s really coming from the auto industry.
The Big Quote:
- “You’re seeing the major cloud vendors are all in on the top two or three focus of vertical cloud.”
- “I think we’re witnessing a whole new era of how products are conceived, how they’re designed, how they’re built, how they’re manufactured, how they’re distributed.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Tony Uphoff is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode was brought to you by BMC Software.